*** Visit my weight loss blog: Escape from Obesity ***



Thursday, November 29, 2012

Speedloss 2-Day Cleanse: A Real Life, Detailed Review

About two months ago, I was contacted by Level 2 Performance Foods to do a real life review of their 2-day weight loss, detox and cleanse program called Speedloss. After looking at the ingredients list and seeing nothing I believe is harmful, and after being assured that the entire Speedloss program is gluten free, I decided to give it a try.

Speedloss is a 2-day detox plan that claims to "boost Energy, burn fat and jump start weight loss without the hunger." It is not only gluten free but also claims that the foods are "all natural" contain no artificial sweeteners. (Claims, I said. But read on). The Speedloss website also states "Speedloss has no 'strange' foods in it that are gross." Well that's a big relief! I always wonder what strange, gross foods might be lurking in my protein shakes...

Here is what you get in your box for your $199: "Everything you need to detox, cleanse, and lose up to 12 pounds in 2 days. No need to purchase any additional foods."

weight loss cleanse

Yep, you get a bottle of juice, a water bottle, and two bags containing your 'meals' and supplements for two days. It's nice that they have Day 1 and Day 2 in separate bags so you don't get confused.

Within each bag, the packets are also labeled numerically so you just go right down the line and take them in order. Here's the stuff for Day 1:

weight loss detox

You get a protein shake, a homeostat supplement pack, a packet of soup mix, a packet of superfood drink mix, a cleanse packet, and a packet of Trim Tea. You also get to drink the Sedona juice in the evening, and are instructed to drink 1/2 to 1 gallon of water during the day.

Here's what I saw when I opened the bag for Day 2:

Speedloss cleanse detox review

At first, I thought, "hey, this isn't right! Where are the other packets?? There are only 3 here and the website says I get to eat five times a day!" I dug through the box, looked all around for the lost packets, then finally flipped through the instruction booklet and saw that indeed, you only get 3 packets for Day 2. This made me a little nervous. Sounds hungry. Anyway, you get a packet of oatmeal, a packet of "Kicker Powder" drink mix, and a Crave-Control supplement pack. That's it for the day, plus your Sedona juice and water.

The Sedona Juice came in a 64 oz plastic bottle with a price tag of $39.99 on the side. The label says it is "fortified with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and a special blend of citrus juices that help detoxify the body." I was very curious to read the ingredients in this amazing detox juice. Let me share them with you.

The Nutrition Facts label says "Contains 100% Juice" and the ingredients list goes like this:

apple juice from concentrate, strawberry juice from concentrate, grape juice from concentrate, raspberry juice from concentrate, blueberry juice from concentrate, blackberry juice from concentrate, aronia juice from concentrate, water, natural flavor, citric acid, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

Hey, where's the citrus juices?? Hmmm. But you know, this sounds very familiar. In fact the bottle reminds me a lot of the Juicy Juice I used to give my kids when they were little. You know what's in Juicy Juice?

apple, pear, grape, and raspberry juices from concentrate, water, natural flavors, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), and citric acid.

So Sedona Juice is kind of like Juicy Juice, with a few extra berries thrown in there (aronia juice, though it sounds exotic, is simply the juice from chokeberries, which is high in antioxidants).

A few little details about the cleanse, taken from the instruction booklet that came with in the box. You ingest the contents of the packets in the order they are numbered at specific times throughout the day. You may drink plain green tea, regular tea and coffee. If you are "extra hungry" you can add a piece of fresh fruit, salad, raw veggies or 8 ounces of fresh juice, but this may affect weight loss (but will not affect the detox). It is suggested that you do an hour of cardio each morning and 30 to 90 minutes of cardio each evening. WHAT?? Well, since I did not want to be carried out of my house on a stretcher, I decided to go with the Speedloss website statement that lots of people lose 8 to 18 pounds without adding any exercise.

As far as calories go, the company doesn't share how many calories you get per day on this cleanse, so I did a little math myself. On Day 1 you get 16 oz of Sedona juice. That totals 240 calories. You also get a shake that has 151 calories and 22.5 g protein, and the soup has 15 g protein so we can assume it is in the 100-150 calorie range similar to Medifast soups. That brings your total to about 540 calories. The pills, tea bag, and fiber drink probably don't have many calories if any, so if we guess the superfoods drink is about 100 calories, that brings us to 640 for Day 1. I don't think I'll be doing 2 hours of cardio on that, no matter who I am. Day 2 is *less* food but more juice: 24 oz of Sedona juice = 360 calories. The only other food you get is protein-fortified oatmeal, so let's say 200 calories there. That's about 560 calories for Day 2. I personally feel this would be an unsafe level of calories beyond this very short, 2 day cleanse. (You *are* allowed to mix the shake and the oatmeal with milk, which would give you 80 or so additional calories per day. You can bet I will be doing that).

Now, for the actual "cleanse and detox" experience. Here is exactly how it went down.

Monday morning, weighed in at 220 pounds. Had one cup of black coffee and some water.

8AM: time for breakfast: a protein shake. Speedloss claims that this shake was "voted best tasting protein shake 3 years running." I got the chocolate flavor and it was pretty good, if somewhat watery made as directed with 8 oz almond milk and a cup of ice in the blender. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It was filling and had chocolate chips in the mix; this shake is whey based, sweetened with sugar, and has 7 grams of carbs.

10AM: packet #2, "Homeostat Plus", had 3 pills in it: flaxseed oil, acai detox, and acidophilus. The oil is a healthy source of omega fatty acids and the acidophilus is a probiotic. Acai detox I would guess has acai berry in it which at least has some antioxidants. Took this with a glass of water as directed.

11AM: time for some "Smart Soup," which is a powder you mix with water and microwave. This soup is fortified with "milk protein concentrate and isolated soy protein" and contains 15 grams of protein. It's sort of like a cream of tomato type soup; I didn't like the taste and the texture was not so fun. I let it sit a few minutes before eating and the thick "gravy" type texture with dehydrated, chewy bits of (I assume) vegetables in it was not pleasant. Also, it was *extremely* sweet in my opinion, but I ate it anyway. It was honestly a bit hard to get down. I am not a fan of the ingredients in this soup. Red #40? Really? Speedloss is advertised as "all natural" and Red #40 doesn't seem to fit that description. How about "artificial flavor?" That's in the ingredient list, too, along with sucralose. Wait, didn't the website and booklet say there are no artificial sweeteners in these foods? Confused...

1PM: packet #4, "Super-food 5." This powder is supposed to be mixed with juice, so I just used the Sedona Juice that came with the kit. The ingredients include things like barley juice powder, spirulina powder, spinach leaf powder, antioxidant blend, pro-biotics, and stevia. It also lists policosanol, which Wikipedia says is a "natural extract of plant waxes" (wait, does this classify as a strange/gross food?) and "metabolic herbs", "harmonizing and support herbs" and "natural fibers." I wish they'd list which herbs are in here. Anyway, it didn't all dissolve into the juice, leaving some little clumps that needed to be smashed; I'd recommend using a blender to mix this. The resulting beverage was a very dark/seaweed green color... not terribly appetizing, but it tasted decent. Mostly like juice and I liked it just fine, especially since I was getting pretty hungry by this time.

I actually had good energy all morning and early afternoon until about 3; that's when I started feeling tired.

3PM: Now I was really hungry! Time for a Cleanse 24 packet.This is a powder you mix with water or juice (I used 4 oz of the Sedona juice). It contains psyllium husk, flaxseed, stevia, and some other random-looking herbs that probably assist in getting the bowels moving. The packet says it will "clean you out" so we'll see about that. It went down easy and was like drinking a glass of Metamucil.

An hour later it was time for the last packet of the day, TrimTeaCS. This is one tea bag you brew in water. It contains Senna leaf (which is used as a laxative tea), whorled marshmallow leaf (which the great Internet says reduces inflammation), persimmon leaf, papaya leaf and licorice root. Hey, wait! Those sound exactly like the ingredients in Triple Leaf Super Slimming Herbal Tea! You can read some reviews about this tea on Amazon if you're interested. (I don't know if they are exactly the same tea or not. I'm just saying the ingredients list is identical.) This tea was rather tasty plain, a lot like a mild green tea. I enjoyed it. But I was really hungry, too.

From 5PM to bedtime, the only thing to be consumed is 16 ounces of the Sedona juice. I decided that to keep my blood sugar relatively steady, I'd do best to drink no more than 4 ounces in one sitting. That would provide 60 calories and 15 grams of carbs. I spaced the juice every 2 hours, having 4 ounces at 5, 7, 9 and 11PM. I managed this just fine along with some water. I was hungry between drinks but the juice was enough to keep me feeling ok. The juice tasted like... juice. Nothing different, just regular juice taste (apple/berry juice).

I was tired all evening. No headaches or anything unpleasant, just a bit of stomach growling. I did not sleep well at all.

Day 2:

Woke up and had my cup of black coffee. Had a couple of trips to the bathroom.

8AM: packet #1 contained "Oat Pro" which is an instant oatmeal you add to milk or water and heat in the microwave. The first ingredient is whole grain rolled oats, and it is fortified with whey protein. The best part is the REAL semi-sweet chocolate chips and the crunchy bits of sweet toffee. This oatmeal was so yummy that I would eat it every day, if I knew the nutrition information. Not sure how high in carbs it is. But it was really good! Someone needs to send me a tub of this.

10AM: time for some Kicker powder! This packet says to mix with water and drink immediately. This one has the "strangest" and most "artificial" ingredients list yet. I do not get how they can claim this is all natural, but I'll let you decide. Some of the ingredients are polydextrose, artificial flavors, caffeine, acesulfame potassium (an artificial sweetener), sucralose (another artificial sweetener), and FD&C Yellow #6. It also contains B vitamins and green tea extract and is supposed to give you "sustained energy." Well, I mixed it with water as directed and it made a pink fizzy drink. It looked, smelled, and tasted like Emergen-C, if you've ever tried that. It tasted good, sweet, mild.

11AM: time for the third and final packet, "Crave control" which you are going to need since you don't get any more food today... just juice. This packet had 3 pills in it: a B-complex, green tea, and chromium picolinate. I took it with a glass of water as directed.

Now you don't get to eat until tomorrow.

From 12 noon to bedtime, you get to drink a total of 24 ounces of Sedona juice. I used the same strategy as yesterday, drinking 4 ounces every 2 hours (at noon, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10pm). I got hungry, but it wasn't horrible.

In the morning I weighed in: 217. That's 3 pounds lost on the Speedloss 2-day cleanse. Now I admit I was already on a low carb diet and people who are eating really unhealthy may lose more than that... mostly water weight from the huge reduction in carbs. Three pounds isn't bad, but would I have lost 3 pounds anyway if I'd had a regular protein shake, normal oatmeal, Juicy Juice, and a laxative? Maybe. Hard tellin'.

Overall, I did not have a big increase in energy and don't feel a whole lot different from doing this. My biggest objection to this product is that it claims to be all natural and says it contains no artificial sweeteners when, in fact, the labels on each item prove otherwise. I also do not think there is anything here worth $199, but your opinion may differ! Let me know what you think in the comments.

*FTC-required disclosure: this product was sent to me for free in exchange for my review on this blog. I was not compensated in any other way. All opinions are my own, honest thoughts and are simply opinions and not medical advice or recommendation that you try any product.*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a scam! Do they really sell any of these for $199? Think of how much healthy food you could buy for that amount of money. It's sad that a company would prey on people's desperation like this (obviously not talking about you Lyn, you were just providing a review of the product plus you did not pay for it.)

In addition to the highly suspect ingredients, I cannot get over the chintzy packaging. Not only does it look cheap, but the cheesy sayings on the packaging are ridiculous. "Calm down . . . that's just the paparazzi following you." "Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life." Really? Yes, that helps me take this product seriously.

I really hope this company sells zero of these and the 25 cents they invested in each unit goes down on the balance sheet as a LOSS.

Anonymous said...

I tried it for 99 dollars and I didn't lose any weight. The shake was good but for weight loss I didn't have any

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have read this blog before purchasing two of these kits. I found the offer on Groupon and so I paid $99 each; one for my daughter who just had a baby four months ago and one for myself. I am 5'6" and weigh around 155. I'd love to get 10 pounds off so that my clothes fit better but dont have huge weight issues. I guess I'm a sucker for believing this would work. We just started today and plan to do the 60 minute cardio both days. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the honest information.

Anonymous said...

I must agree this is a total scam! I too purchased 2 boxes from Groupon. I have used 1 box and followed directions exactly as written. I lost a total of 1.6 lbs.

I will never fall for something like this ever again. I hope they go out of business!

Aprile Milazzo said...

Wow I bought one too from living social and am waiting for it its been 3 weeks already and I still don't have it. What I don't get after reading your blog is they say they have to make each one fresh

Anonymous said...

Interesting-funny review and no I don't think its worth 199 bucks either. I would like to share something that has worked for me tho and no its not an ad, etc. I weighed 350 lbs okay. Long story short, I was admitted for a kidney stone procedure and in the following 3 weeks, I lost about 20 lbs. I was really sick, but because I lost 20 lbs, I didn't want that weight loss to stop. I lost an additional 30 lbs eating 6 times a day. Yup, 6 times! I had Special K cereal with reduced fat milk, Special K waffles with 1 tsp of low fat maple syrup, 1 Dannon yogurt and some morning I drank 100% orange juice, a bottle of water, decaf coffee or if I swapped out my cereal for oatmeal, then I drank milk. I stayed away from white bread, totally switched to wheat in which I used for snacks and meals. Snacks were toasted wheat with peanut butter or fruit spread, maybe a handful of peanuts, a fruit, or 100 calorie snack pack of chips or cookies, pretzels or rice cakes. Lunch time was usually a salad with oil and vinegar dressing or cottage cheese with fruit, a low fat turkey sub with fruit and the same drinks I used for breakfast. Dinner time I used wheat pasta, lean meats, or a salad (not if I had one for lunch) but I ate a lot of tuna and chicken, vegetables too, usually 1 cup but if I was really hungry, I would eat up to 2. I think the most important thing was the times. I ate at the same time every day. This routine helped me sleep (which was great because I usually don't have a good sleep schedule). Including the snacks in between meals satisfied me too. I was not hard on myself either. If I was still hungry, I would grab a fruit or small piece of cheese, a pretzel or two or another handful of nuts. I stayed away from cakes, sweets, things packed with sugar as much as I could. I did treat myself on the weekends, just one night per week. My family likes to eat out once per week and I would still order a salad but I would have ice cream or a cookie afterwards. I have gained about 16 lbs back but only because I'm not as conscious about my eating. I love macaroni and cheese too much grr but I am going to watch what I eat more closely again and see how much I can lose. It is not difficult and it is not like starving yourself. Just set the times and eat 6 times a day making healthy choices. The first two days were a bit strange for me but by day 3 I was fine.

Anonymous said...

i bought it on living social for $99 too-still too much money for what it is. first it took forever to get it, then they shipped the wrong one and the only way they would ship the right one was if i shipped the wrong one back. they said they couldn't send me a paid shipping label so i had to pay to return it and then they said the only way they could refund me the cost of the shipping was in my next order-which isn't happening. p.s. after day one no weight loss but a good cleanse similar to pre-colonoscopy-sore bum and all!!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for these posts! I was all set to shell out the money for this product when my first mind said "read these posts first". I can change my eating habits, portion sizes and combinations of protein, carbs and fiber and probably receive better results. I'll just keep it moving, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I so appreciated your two-day depiction of the speedloss plan. It was good to know my confusion over the number of packets was shared. I am in day two right now and only have juice left for the rest of the day, (and it's only 2:30 p.m.). I bought mine through Groupon, and paid less than you, but definitely more than $50, I just don't remember. For me, this was the psychological jump start I needed on my way to lose 10 lbs. However, I would not recommend it, and certainly not at that price. I won't do the plan again. In a word: disappointing.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Not worth the cost. I got it on Groupon. I am on day 1 right now, but I could have pieced this together from stuff in the store for much less.

Anonymous said...

This company is a total scam. I waited 2 months, received an apology after 6 weeks, because the email I was supposed to receive upon order was not sent "due to the overwhelming response and manufacturer not being able to meet demand". When received didn't receive what program outlines. Not sending back per request at my cost. This is a $99, Living Social education. I dropped using Groupon for their promotion of a Scam company and refusal to give me a full refund. Goodbye Living Social.

Anonymous said...

Worked as promised to me.. lost 5 pounds, but I am not overweight at all - started at 165 5'9".. in fact I just wanted to reset my system from eating too many carbs lately and noticing some water retention at nights because of that. Two things surprised me in the process.. (1) how many carbs are packed into those foods (like Sedona juice is 35 grams per serving); (2) that cleansing part definitely worked as at the end of day 2 I noticed that everything started smelling "funny": my husband, my house, my car, my office.. everything... and then it occurred to me that it is the same when one stops smoking.. I think it is effect of the body being cleaner or something like that. Anyway - it is a good jumpstart for a diet (mine is vegan.. just for Lent).. not sure if it worth $99 I paid via ebay (definitely not $199..). Btw - the best diet ever is HCG (real via injection, not the pills).. Lost 30 pounds and have been easy to maintain for 3 years as of May 2014... without much restriction in anything except overloading on carbs.. good luck to anyone...


Diet Direct Coupon Code 2013